COVID-19 Vaccination Training for Health Workers – Course type: Course
As announced by the President of the Republic of South Africa, the country is preparing to embark on a massive programme to roll out the COVID-19 vaccination.
This will be the largest and most complex logistical undertaking in our country, and it requires active involvement of various stakeholders, forums and task teams.
COVID-19 Vaccination Training for Health Workers
The overall aim of this course is to capacitate vaccinators by providing key information necessary for rolling out the COVID-19 vaccine to South African healthcare workers.
The course is aimed at provincial trainers and implementers, healthcare professionals / vaccinators in both public and private sectors.
The training task team is responsible for giving the vaccinators adequate knowledge and skills to deliver the COVID-19 vaccine.
Therefore, the National Department of Health (NDoH) has teamed up with the South African Vaccination and Immunisation Centre at the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, and other support partners, to package a short course, with tools, to prepare vaccinators to implement the COVID-19 vaccination.
Requirements / prerequisites
There are no prerequisites for the course.
Device (cellphone, tablet, laptop, and/or desktop.
Accessing the course materials and recorded lectures online is free as the Knowledge Hub has been zero rated. An initial internet connection is required to connect to the KH.
- Module 1: Introduction to COVID-19 vaccination training
- Module 2: Storage, handling, delivery, and waste management of COVID-19 vaccines
- Module 3: Organising COVID-19 vaccination sessions
- Module 4: Adverse events following immunisation (AEFI) monitoring for COVID-19 vaccination
- Module 5: COVID-19 vaccination data management
- Module 6: Communication with the community about COVID-19 vaccination
- Module 7: Ethical considerations for the COVID-19 vaccination programme
The overall aim of this course is to capacitate vaccinators by providing key information necessary for rolling out the COVID-19 vaccine to South African healthcare workers. At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- get an overview of the COVID-19 vaccination training curriculum and processes
- briefly describe SARS-CoV-2 and coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- provide key information on types of COVID-19 vaccines
- outline the NDoH vaccination strategy for healthcare workers
- identify key programmatic considerations that are new or different for COVID-19 vaccines
- describe key planning elements to prepare for the COVID-19 vaccine introduction
- explain cold-chain requirements for the COVID-19 vaccines and diluents
- explain storage principles / conditions at the health facility as well as for outreach and campaign vaccination posts
- understand the ethical principles and values relevant to the vaccine programme
- explain the ethical justification for the prioritisation in the roll out programme
- as health care workers, understand their ethical duties towards individuals they will be vaccinating
- describe health and human rights, and how these notions can be applied to the vaccine programme.
#1. Clinical Associates
#2. Emergency Medical Service Practitioners and Technicians
#4. Medical Interns and Community Service Doctors
Certificate offered – Certificate of Attendance
Enrollment End Date: 31 December 2022 – 12:00 pm
If you already have a KH account, self-enrol here.