Spring Baptist Academy is seeking their next Head of School. The Head of School will direct and manage the instructional program and supervise operations at the campus level….
Meet Spring Baptist Academy:
Spring Baptist Church was established over 100 years ago and ministered and served in the Spring community faithfully. Children have always been a priority in all ministry areas. The pre-kindergarten program was started in 1993. The classes for kindergarten and first grade were added in 1998. From that start the school has gradually grown until 2011 when it formally became the Spring Baptist Academy. SBA currently offers classes to students in grades pre-kindergarten through ninth grade. Tenth grade classes will be offered beginning with the 2022-2023 school year. The love for children is only exceeded by the love of Jesus Christ by all faculty and staff.
The Academy offers a unique educational setting where parents partner with teachers to teach all core subjects from a biblical worldview. We seek to teach children they can develop to their fullest potential, when led by Christ.
Preschool classes for four-year-olds are offered three days a week. Lower school students (Pre-K through 6th grade) and upper school students (7th through 9th grade) attend school three days a week on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Parents of all students are co-teachers on Mondays and Fridays using lesson plans written by our teachers. Parents instruct, grade and re-teach material outlined by the classroom teacher. Because of our small class sizes, teachers are aware of each child’s needs and can cooperate with parents to help each child succeed.
Spring Baptist Academy is seeking their next Head of School. The Head of School will direct and manage the instructional program and supervise operations at the campus level, providing instructional leadership to ensure high standards of instructional service and the incorporation of kingdom principles. They will direct the implementation of SBA policies and instructional programs, as well as manage the operation of all campus activities.
The Head of School’s Responsibilities Include:
- Establish and uphold the organizational chain of command.
- Develop and grow the organizational structure as needed.
- Support Spring Baptist Church in hiring/dismissal of SBA Staff.
- Designate job responsibilities of the SBA Staff.
- Work Closely with and supervise Upper and Lower Grade Directors/Principals
- Evaluate Staff through:
- Classroom visits;
- Teacher Formative Reviews – one per year for teachers at SBA over two years, two per year for those in their first and second year on staff;
- Oversee the Registrar, Admin. Asst., Curriculum Specialist, and Teacher Aides and conduct mid-year performance reviews on each; and
- Conduct an end of the year review with all staff members.
- Classroom visits;
- Conduct SBA Faculty Meetings every two weeks. Set a meeting agenda and conduct the meeting.
- Conduct Teacher Meetings by grade level at least two times per year.
- Receive requests for Substitute Teachers daily and cover as needed.
- Encourage Staff to grow professionally and spiritually.
- Conduct a Book Study with Staff – one per year, discuss at Faculty Meetings.
- Conduct Staff Development
- First week of June – two days
- New Teacher Training – the week before school starts
- Beginning of Year Inservice – two days
- First week of June – two days
- Assign Mentors to New Staff Members.
- Coordinate Student Leadership Team Sponsors.
- Manage all Staff Training Records.
- Update Staff Personal Info/Files as needed.
- Supervise/Staff any/all after-school activities.
Establish/Maintain Curriculum & Academic Standards
- Order instructional materials as needed.
- Supervise the administration of the IOWA Test of Basic Skills.
- Review the IOWA scores each year.
- Oversee Writing Samples due dates for K-3 and 4-6 grades.
SBA/SBC School/Church Coordination
- Submit an annual budget to Spring Baptist Church.
- Participate in long term planning in conjunction with Spring Baptist Church.
- Support the church, administration, and the church staff.
- Attend Spring Baptist Church Staff Meetings as requested.
- Coordinate SBA Day in Worship Service one Sunday each Fall Semester.
- Coordinate Pastor Appreciation efforts for a week in Pastor Appreciation month of October.
Incorporate Biblical Worldview
- Ensure Chapel Lessons are developed (33 weeks) with two weeks of school-wide chapels (one in the Fall and one in the Spring).
- Enlist chapel speakers for each week’s chapels.
- Guide the selection of the Bible Verse of the Year with staff input.
- Attend conferences related to Kingdom Education.
- Review Biblical Principles of Kingdom Education.
Establish Policy & Adherence
- Determine policies based on Biblical foundation and review enforcement.
- Enforce School Code of Conduct & Dress Code – call parents as needed.
- Ensure proper use of shared facilities policies.
- Communicate, maintain, and update “The Portrait of a Royal.”
- Maintain the Parent Handbook and revise as needed.
- Communicate and monitor adherence to SBA/SBC Social Media Policy.
- Communicate SBA/SBC Statement of Faith.
- Ensure Crisis Management Plan is in place and communicated to staff.
- Monitor and update any health-related policies, including COVID, concerns.
Establish Schedules & Set Calendar
- Oversee master schedules.
- Plan, coordinate, and communicate the SBA Calendar.
- Set School Board Meetings and present the agenda and minutes of the previous meeting.
- Work with SBA Admin Asst to set the yearly school activity calendar – coordinate with and add SBA events to the church calendar.
- Prepare a monthly calendar of activities for staff and parent newsletters.
- Monitor area school district calendars and weather cancellations.
- Oversee and coordinate special schedules for Art, Music, P. E., Technology, Recess, and Duty Coverage.
- Set up group tours for new families on the fourth Tuesday of January, February, and March.
Operations, Logistics & Facilities Coordination
- Establish a budget and ensure accountability.
- Assign classrooms.
- Open classroom doors each morning.
- Coordinate weekly and special room setup requests form submittals.
- Return phone calls in a timely manner.
- Develop Car Rider Lines – Upper School, Elementary School, and PreK. Be available to monitor each day.
- Conduct safety drills.
- Use Incident Report Forms to document any incidents.
- Coordinate needs of staff children before and after school.
- Review Progress Reports/Report Cards for each student prior to reports being sent home.
- Maintain student records with support of the Registrar.
- Plan and coordinate Report Card Awards.
Establish/Maintain Parent-Family/School Relations
- Develop relationships with SBA families & staff.
- Conduct Fall & Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences.
- Meet with Parents and/or Teachers to discuss any matters as requested.
This role description is intended to represent key areas of responsibilities; specific assignments may vary from time to time, and other duties may be assigned.
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in educational administration and/or curriculum and instruction is required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with Texas Principal Certification or equivalent.
- Instructional Leadership Certificate (ILT, AEL, or do so with 60 days of hire).
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a classroom teacher.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience as principal and/or instructional leadership roles.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have Christian school experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction.
- Ability to evaluate instructional programs and teaching effectiveness.
- Strong communications, public relations, and interpersonal skills.
- Expertise in technology.
- Knowledge of Kingdom School Educational Principles is preferred.
- Devoted born again Christ-follower.
- Good testimony in the community.
- Be an active member of Spring Baptist Church.
What It’s Like to Live in Spring, TX:
Spring, TX is a suburb north of Houston, TX, and is tucked between the big city skylines of Houston and the vast farmland and countryside of Huntsville and beyond towards Dallas. It is a historical city, beginning as a trading post at Spring Creek in the mid 1800s with a couple of hundred residents. Many German immigrants came to the area and used the abundant land as profitable farmland. Today, Spring-Klein is home to about 60,000 residents and is a popular area for young families to move to because of its proximity to excellent school systems, higher educational opportunities, and short commute to nearby headquarters of major oil and gas, IT, medical and engineering companies in the Woodlands and Houston proper.
Houston is the 4th largest city in the United States and the largest city in Texas. It is home to the Texas Medical Center, the world’s largest concentration of healthcare, and research institutions, and NASA’s Johnson Space Center, where Mission Control is located.
Residents of this area love this area for its entertainment, shopping opportunities, culture, dining, and proximity to the city. It is the best of both worlds – at just under 40 minutes drive into the city of Houston, it is a quieter reprieve from the hustle and bustle of Houston but still offers the quality of life that Houston is known for.
Process & Timeline
Interested candidates should begin the process through the link provided in the job posting.
Priority will be given to materials submitted prior to December 30th, 2022, however, candidates will be reviewed until the position is filled.
The Role: Head of School
Location: Spring, TX
Accredited by: National Alliance of Christian Schools