Student Training in Engineering Program (STEP), formerly known as Engineering Practicum, is a 12-week internship for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science.
The internship program has a focus of providing development opportunities to students from groups historically underrepresented in tech, through technical training and professional development. Our unique internship offers the opportunity to work on a software project alongside other STEP interns and full-time Googlers, and provides the chance to bridge the gap between academic understanding and practical professional experience.
There are two program date options (must be available for the entirety of the program):
- May 22, 2023 – August 11, 2023
- June 19, 2023 – September 8, 2023.
- To provide interns with the opportunity to complete a challenging technical project where you will build solutions and gain exposure to immense scale and complexity.
- To help interns develop their technical skills, build confidence in their abilities, and better prepare them for their future in computer science. All STEP interns will receive coaching and mentorship from Google engineers to guide you through your summer experience.
- To give interns an inside look at Google’s unique environment, community, and culture. Interns will have the opportunity to attend technical talks by Googlers, gain insight into technical interview preparation, learn about Google’s coding practices and technologies, and develop other skills that will set them up for success.
- To help participants begin building important personal networks and friendships with a diverse group of students who share their passion for technology and computer science.
- First or second-year Bachelor’s student majoring in Computer Science or a related field.
- First year students have taken at least one college computer science course (AP or IB will meet course requirements). Second-year students must have completed at least two college computer sciences courses.
- Currently attending a university in North America.
- Returning to a Bachelor’s degree program with at least two years remaining in their academic program after completion of the Summer 2023 internship.
- Ability to complete a full-time, 12-week internship between May and August or June and September 2023 (exact program dates will be provided at a later point in the process).