The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives and expanding opportunities throughout the Asia and Pacific region. Informed by decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work is focused on governance, women’s empowerment and gender equality, inclusive economic growth, environment and climate action, and regional and international relations. The Foundation works in more than 20 countries through 18 offices across Asia and the Pacific.
The Vice President, Programs
The Asia Foundation seeks a dynamic and experienced professional to serve as Vice President for Programs. Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Programs will provide overarching leadership of and vision for programmatic activities across the Foundation’s operations. Working with the Foundation’s Country Representatives and Program Directors, the individual serving in this critical position will be responsible for ensuring the successful implementation, impact, refinement, and growth of the Foundation’s extensive program portfolio. The Vice President will play a key role in developing the Foundation’s overall strategy and ensuring its competitiveness.
The Vice President for Programs leads and oversees the work of several teams that comprise the Foundation’s Programs unit and collectively play a central role in the Foundation’s matrix structure. Under the leadership of the Vice President, these teams provide technical support in their specialty areas; exercise thought leadership; strengthen the Foundation’s capacity to anticipate, identify, and nimbly respond to critical trends, challenges, and opportunities affecting societies in Asia and the Pacific; secure funding from key public and private sector donors; apply cutting-edge analytical, program delivery, and monitoring and evaluation tools to increase program impact; support the professional development and vision of new generations of leaders in the region; and help manage critical donor partnerships.
Program Leadership and Strategy:
- Develop, drive, and realize The Asia Foundation’s overall programmatic vision, goals, and strategy.
- Support country offices and program teams in designing, developing, and implementing innovative programs that address key development challenges and opportunities.
- Coordinate strategic planning exercises involving country offices and regional program teams.
- Stay abreast of emerging trends and good practices in international development and identify areas and opportunities for program evolution and growth.
Program Management and Oversight:
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support to Country Representatives and Program Directors and their respective teams to ensure effective implementation of programs and projects.
- Foster a culture of programmatic excellence, impact measurement, and learning, ensuring that programs are evidence-based and results-oriented.
Partnership Development and Donor Relations:
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with governments, donors, and key stakeholders to promote collaboration and efficient resource mobilization.
- Lead the development of strategic partnerships with regional organizations, academic institutions, and other stakeholders to enhance program excellence, impact, and sustainability.
- Represent The Asia Foundation in high-level meetings, conferences, and forums, advocating for the Foundation’s programs and promoting its contributions to thought leadership in development policy and practice.
Human Resource Management and Professional Development:
- Supervise and oversee the work of Program Directors and teams of development professionals.
- Provide effective leadership and mentoring of professional development opportunities for members of all program units.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment, promoting teamwork, diversity, and mutual respect among staff members.
- Ensure the recruitment, retention, and performance management of high-quality professional talent.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of robust monitoring, evaluation, and learning frameworks to measure program impact and effectiveness and continuously refine program activities and approaches.
- Promote a culture of adaptive management, fostering continuous learning and innovation within program teams.
- Utilize programmatic data and evidence to inform strategic decision making and improve program outcomes.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in international development, political science, public policy, or a related field.
- 15+ years of progressively responsible experience in international development, focusing on Asia and the Pacific.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Asia and the Pacific’s economic and geopolitical dynamics.
- Demonstrated experience designing, resourcing, and implementing complex development programs, including strategic planning, project management, and budget oversight.
- Proven track record of successfully engaging with government partners, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Exceptional leadership and management skills, with experience in building and leading high-performing teams.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and representational skills, with the ability to engage and influence a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience with matrix organizations that combine geographically focused operations and teams of regional technical specialists is an asset but not required.
How to Apply:
Must be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Annual Compensation Range $200,000 – $275,000
Learn more about this position and apply.
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.