About the The Australian Volunteers Program 2023 Call for Applications
The Australian Volunteers Program 2023 Call for Applications: The Australian Volunteers Program is funded by the Australian Government. The program is managed by AVI in a consortium with DT Global and Alinea International.
About the assignment
We’re looking for a Food Technician and Trainer who can live and volunteer in Tonga for 12 months. Join the Australian Volunteers Program to contribute to sustainable development across the Pacific Region.
About the Partner Organisation:
Nishi Trading’s mission is to be a leading provider of sustainable and socially responsible produce in the pacific. Their core values include showing mutual respect, being accountable to society and the environment, honouring their heritage and learning from the present to prepare for future generations.
Nishi Trading is a family owned business that was founded in 1999. It is now one of the leading exporters of fresh produce in Tonga. It has diversified its operations into six divisions including commercial farming, pack house, quarry and construction materials, farming supplies, pest management services and the Nishi Foundation. It works with over 100 village-based agricultural growers including women and youth.
The volunteer will contribute to building the capacity of staff and assist them in relation to HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points). There will be ongoing mentoring particularly in relation to new service systems that are being implemented. You will assist to develop a range of value-added products from local root crops for the local market and export.
About the Position:
- You will be building staff capacity in relation to HACCP and service systems as well as assist in the development of new ranges.
- You will need relevant qualifications in food processing as well as 5 to 10 years’ experience in the industry. You will also be familiar with HACCP and food supply chains.
- You will gain a new perspective and skillset living and working in Utulau.
We actively support and encourage people of all backgrounds and abilities to volunteer internationally and aim to make the program as accessible and inclusive as possible. – Find out more
The monthly living allowance enables you to live a modest local lifestyle. Based on the cost of living in a particular country, it covers food, your daily commute, communication and other local costs. It is not set to enable you to meet financial commitments at home, such as a mortgage or a personal loan.
- Federal Police Check must be completed during application
- First Aid Certificate is required
- Video response interview must be completed as part of this application